More than Jazz
from 29 June to 2 August 2012
Works in the ravine began circa 1835 but it was only in 1849 that a solid retaining wall enabled the creation of a vast promenade: the Plateau.
At the same time, the Montauban Agricultural Society decided to focus on experimental research and improving agricultural production.
In 1857, the exhibition held on the adjacent avenues was such a success that the Society decided to make it permanent, in the form of public gardens, installed on the vacant lot which at the time overlooked the Tescou river.
With the assistance of the municipality, 2 hectares of land was purchased and one of Paris' best landscape architects, Mr Le Breton, designed the layout of the Jardin des Plantes.
On 16 June 1861, Marshal Niel and Mr Prax-Paris, the Mayor of Montauban, inaugurated these gardens.
This arboretum now covers 3 hectares on both sides of the Tescou. It features a few rare plant specimens, most of which were planted during the creation of the gardens, as well as remarkable sculptures (a bust of Auguste Quercy de Bourdelle or a marble statue by Jean Boucher).